Summer is coming and I’m very happy about it! After living in the tropics for a couple of years I have shifted from the “I love cold weather” camp firmly into the “bring on the sunshine and warmth” camp.
I’m also excited for all of the delicious things that grow in the garden in summer, tomatoes straight off the bush and still warm from the sun and the veritable fields of basil waiting to be turned into delicious pesto. I’m not sure about the inevitable glut of zucchini though, I still have bags of grated zucchini in the fridge from last year! I’m down to the last couple of frozen cubes of basil though so I can’t wait for that to grow.
I’m preparing for summer with this salad and whilst the tomatoes and basil aren’t ready yet, there are plenty of other things that go in a salad, see Exhibit A above. I love the jewel tones of the beetroot and sweet potato against the bright green of the rocket. A sprinkling of crumbled feta gives a delicious salty tang against the sweetness of the veg and the peppery flavour of the rocket. Roasting the vegetables with a little dried oregano really boosts the flavour and the whole thing is tossed in a light vinaigrette to finish it off.
I’m looking forward to loads more delicious salad recipes as the weather warms up and the garden heads into peak production mode.
- 1 beetroot
- 1 golden beetroot
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tbs oil for roasting
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups rocket or other salad leaves
- 2tbs crumbled feta
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbs lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Peel and chop the beetroot and sweet potato into 2cm chunks
- Place onto an oven tray and toss with 1tbs of oil and the dried oregano, roast in the oven for approx 45mins or until vegies are golden brown, stirring halfway through
- Let the vegies cool a little, you want them still warm but not so hot they wilt the salad leaves
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice into a jar and season to taste with salt and pepper, put a lid on the jar and shake until it's well mixed (you can also pour into a bowl and whisk together)
- In a large bowl, toss the salad leaves together with the vegies, the ¾ of the feta and the salad dressing until everything is coated with the dressing
- Once dressed, transfer the salad to serving plates ans sprinkle the top with the reserved feta
This recipe serves 4 people as a side salad, but it would make a great main for 1 or 2 people depending on how hungry they are!